On March 28, 2019, the Government of the Republic of Croatia appointed the Commission for the Standardization of Geographical Names for a term of four years, which is a multidisciplinary and multi-institutional body composed of experts in the field of geography, geodesy, linguistics, cartography and history. When collecting geographical names and standardizing them, inter-professional cooperation is very important, in which each profession contributes. Surveyors deal with placement in space, geographers with features and linguists with the way names are written.
State Geodetic Administration is the central administration body responsible for maintaining and leading register of geographical names in accordance with the Law on State Survey and Real Estate Cadastre (OG 112/18). The activities of standardization of geographical names are performed by public bodies in accordance with the recommendations of the Commission for the Standardization of Geographical Names.
Commission for the Standardization of Geographical Names performs the following tasks:
- monitors the implementation of settlement regulations and their application in geographical names
- conducts toponym revision and identifies new ones as needed
- establishes principles for writing and using foreign geographical names for use in education, science, Croatian diplomacy etc.
- makes proposals and recommendations for the standardization of geographical names in the Republic of Croatia and foreign geographical names
- makes recommendations for improving the register of geographical names
- participates in the work of international organizations dealing with geographical names.
The members of the Commission are : Chairman of the Commission, Director-General of the State Geodetic Administration, Damir Šantek, PhD, representative of the central state administration body in charge of the Register of Geographical Names, Tea Lončar, PhD, representative of the central state administration body in charge of foreign affairs, Dubravka Đurić Nemec for cultural heritage, Antonija Nemet for science and education, Pejo Bročić for the Croatian Hydrographic Institute, Goranka Blagus Bartoles, PhD, for the Institute of Croatian Language and Linguistics, Ivana Horbec, PhD, for the Croatian Institute of History, Professor Stanislav Frangeš, PhD, for the Croatian Cartographic Society, Associate Professor Aleksandar Toksić, PhD, for the Croatian Geographical Society, Ivana Crljenko, PhD, for the Miroslav Krleža Institute of Lexicography, Helena Pavletić, PhD and Professor Josip Faričić, PhD, representatives of universities involved in education and research in the field of geographical names.
The Commission for the Standardization of Geographical Names held its first, constituting session on June 3, 2019 at the Central Office of the State Geodetic Administration.